Product Manager – Blended Products (Swine)
Position Title: Product Manager – Blended Products (Swine)
Department / Division: Animal Nutrition and Health
Position Reports To: Dir. – Product Manager
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
Job Grade: E7
Summary/Purpose of Position:
In this role you will lead and manage activities to support the ongoing development and success of the JBS United Swine Nutrition product portfolio. You will drive and assist our team with growing JBSU market share in the US Nursery, Sow and Grow-Finish segments. This role will define business requirements, product range definition, branding, pricing and product launches. You should possess strong collaboration and relationship-building skills to work in close cooperation with the Swine Nutrition Sales Management, Research, Marketing, Procurement, Supply Chain (Fulfillment) and Technical Support Teams.
In this role, you must also possess a high-level understanding of the consultative, value-added sales process and be able to educate and influence diverse sales team members. It is also important that you be able to conceptualize and execute new product development strategies and manage commercialized products in the portfolio through the entire product life cycle.
In this position, you will participate as an active member of the product development team and help to train Swine Sales Account Representatives in the application of swine nutrition blended products at the customer level. It will also be your responsibility to manage commercialized products in this portfolio throughout the product life-cycle process.
As a leader in this position, you will need a deep and complete understanding of the external dynamics impacting product performance and growth in the product category, including demand and capacity, category trends and the competitive landscape. It will also be necessary to leverage this understanding to contribute to the development of a robust product strategy line.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Responsible for development of strategic business plans for swine products (Sow, Grow-Finish, and Nursery Nutrition) that includes business requirements, product scope, market forecast, product pricing; etc. Coordinates marketing and product introduction/launch activities.
- Conduct competitive market intelligence/research to identify competitors, market potential, consumer trends, and customer/market requirements. Create product vision & timely product forecasts, research new market growth opportunities, manage and monitor growth progress, and obtain & track end user/customer feedback, etc.
- Contributes to the development and research of building on company strengths, identifying potential new markets and business opportunities, increasing share of market, and obtaining a competitive position in the industry
- Define the short-term and long-term product strategy and roadmap to achieve the strategy, including P&L responsibility for products.
- Develop strategic plans for key leader review (COO and Managing Directors) to achieve growth and financial profitability that support organizational strategy & objectives via acquisitions, mergers, partnerships, distributorships, or divestitures.
- Lead and oversee the development of a product marketing plan to generate product awareness and demand, plus ensure proper promotional product material is developed
- Monitor stages of product life cycle and all issues encountered and oversee the development of effective solutions to address issues
- Aligns with Research for defining strategy and timelines associated with discovery, validation, and commercial research activities.
- Ensures all critical stage gates are evaluated and completed in the Value Creation Process until product development and commercialization steps are achieved.
- Co-develops product pricing structure in conjunction with Pricing and Formulation team that meets profitability targets in conjunction with responsible sales and business development teams for targeted domestic customers.
- Serves as an internal and external advocate for products and concepts that supports effective customer relationships.
- Provide product, research & marketing information, plus provide training and sales tools to sales and market/business development partners on the application of products and services in the field environment
- Oversee the reconciliation of any legal, quality or regulatory issues regarding the product
- Coordinates third party supplier provided research and tech support updates.
- Cooperates with Procurement to manage supplier relationships for specific product platforms, for the purpose of developing both supply and distribution agreements between supplier and the Company
- Coach, develop and lead employees so that they perform effectively.
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Domestic travel to support product development and launch to targeted markets as applicable.
- Work with JBSU marketing representatives to offer insight in developing marketing programs.
- Other duties as assigned
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in a temperature controlled office environment
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
Education / Training:
- BS Degree in Marketing, Agribusiness, Business Management or equivalent professional experience
Relevant Job Experience:
- 2 – 3 years professional experience in taking products to market and managing product lines (agricultural products preferred)
- 2 – 3 years professional experience in product & strategic and planning
- 2 – 4 years experience in food or feed industry preferred
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of agricultural industry preferred
- Knowledge of product planning and product introduction principles
- Business intelligence gathering skills in order to monitor the dynamic marketplace and gain competitive advantages
- Knowledge of product positioning, branding, pricing, & distribution principles
- Knowledge of product quality concepts and product validation procedures
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; lead by influence
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a given time
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from various functional areas
- Attention to detail
- Excellent flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and job assignments
- Excellent problem solving and planning skills
- Working within a matrix organization and shared services environments
- Champion of JBS United Culture; Inspire others
- Actively engages to the Value Creation Process and Rules of Engagement
Licenses / Certification:
- Ability to lift 20 or more pounds periodically
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
Education / Training:
- MBA or Master’s Degree in Marketing, Agri-business, Business Management or equivalent professional experience